Poorly repaired gutters, or gutters that are not repaired at all when they experience problems can lead to issues such as:
- Water damage to the exterior walls of your property.
- A broken, sagging gutter that looks unsightly and does not do its job.
- A leaking roof that damages the interiors of your home.
Reasons a gutter might need to be repaired.
The three key reasons why gutters might need to be repaired are holes in gutters (which can be cause by simple wear and tear or by an impact from something like a loose roof tile) or because the gutter has become clogged and overloaded. Thirdly, metal gutters can also become subject to rust. Gutters can be clogged most frequently by:
- Leaf matter.
As gutters are essential for carrying rainwater and domestic water safely and rapidly away from your house and emptying it into the drain or water butt, it is so important to keep them in good shape. A monthly check is recommended for all gutters, to ensure that there are no problems with them. Catching problems with your gutters early eliminates further, bigger problems further down the line. What might start off as a small crack in a length of guttering can develop into a sizeable hole if it is left untreated.
Methods for fixing common gutter repair issues.
The most frequently encounter issues with gutters have already been listed above. Below, are some key methods for fixing them.
- Clogged gutters: clear solid debris away with a trowel and then with a brush before rinsing the gutter through.
- Cracked gutters: if the crack is not large, some waterproof sealant can be applied. Make sure to apply the sealant in dry conditions, and to clean dirt and dust away from the area to be sealed first. Sealant will not stick effectively to a damp, grimy gutter.
- Rust: metal gutters can oxidize and rust. Solve this issue by sanding away the rust and then coating the gutter with a new lick of paint followed by a weatherpoof finish. Again, this needs to be done in warm, dry conditions so check the weather forecast and ensure that you have at least 24 hours of dry weather ahead of you for all of the coatings to dry.
- Severe cracks: when a crack is severe, it can be best to replace the affected length of guttering. Gutters are usually made up of several segments, so you can simply remove and replace the relevant section.
- Severe rust: severe rusting can weaken metal. In this case, the best option is to replace the affected section of guttering. Replacing a rusted metal gutter with plastic guttering will remove the risk of future rust attacks.
Unsure? Call in the professionals. Get in touch for proffesional gutter repair.
If you are unsure about how to proceed with a gutter repair project, or if the job is too arduous or time consuming for you to perform yourself, do not hesitate to call in a professional who will be able to sort the issue out for you in no time.